Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Comics and Movies

So I have been having fun with the Internet this morning, and I've been thinking a lot about comic books and the movies based on them lately. Now this might partially be because of Jay and Jeff's conversations this weekend. Or because I read something called Marvel 1602 that Paul loaned to us.

This morning I followed a link from Jamie's IM profile to Superman is a Dick, a site which Paul has shown us a couple times during games. It's pretty funny. It has a section called Suffering Sappho! which shows Wonder Woman caught in all kinds of strange and suggestive situations. From there, I began thinking about the new Wonder Woman movie that's due out in 2007 that Paul was talking about, because his Lord and Master, Joss Whedon, is directing and writing it. The IMDb page for the movie mentions several actresses rumored to be in the running for the lead role in this movie, including Charisma Carpenter, Kim Basinger, Lucy Lawless, Salma Hayek, Michelle Rodriguez, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sandra Bullock, Nadia Bjorlin, Mischa Barton, etc.

I don't think I'd like to see any of these women play Wonder Woman in the movie, depsite my love of Charisma Carpenter, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Sandra Bullock. Charisma Carpenter hasn't been in enough non-Joss Whedon projects to carry a major movie. Sarah is tiny, and Wonder Woman is an Amazon. Sandra Bullock is one of my favorite actresses, but I don't think of her as an action heroine. And I don't think she has the body for the costume. I kind of like Salma Hayek for the role, but I hear her accent in my head, and that's not what Wonder Woman sounds like to me.



Image provided by Amazing Amazon.com

One of my fondest childhood memories is watching Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter on TV, when I still lived in the trailer with my parents. Heck, I think Lynda Carter needs to have a cameo in the new movie. If she wasn't over 50, I'd say she should play Wonder Woman again. But as I said, the TV show made a big impression on me when I was little. I was even Wonder Woman for Halloween when I was about 4 or 5. So I feel somewhat qualified to make a few suggestions for the new Amazing Amazon. Here are a list of women that I think might be good choices for the new Wonder Woman/Diana Prince.

Jennifer Connelly - To me, she looks like a young Lynda Carter. She's incredibly beautiful, and I loved her in The Rocketeer, Dark City, and of course, Labyrinth.

Kate Beckinsale - (this suggestion came from Jeff) - She has the action movie experience, with Van Helsing and Underworld under her belt. I can picture her in the costume, and she can also be funny, like in Serendipity

I like links.

Carrie-Anne Moss - Trinity from The Matrix. Again, here's an actress with action movie experience, and matches the blue-eyed, dark-haired mold of Lynda Carter. She's not a tiny woman, almost 5'9", which is also nearly Lynda Carter's height, and, like Kate Beckinsale, she looks great in boots with a big heel.

Rebecca Romijn-Stamos - The only non-brunette on my list, but as a model and from being in X-Men and X2, she's used to having to change her appearance a bit for a role. She's statuesque, I can picture her as a Amazon princess. I liked her supporting role in The Punisher.

If you can come up with anything better, make a comment!

That's all for now, Merry Part and Blessed Be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ONLY choice for Wonder Woman IS....none other than...Charlize Theron

Blog Archive