Thursday, January 19, 2006

I wasn't going to post again today...

But I found this unsettling: Anti-Chinese discrimination in WoW

Gamers, thoughts?

For myself, I can't really tell who's from where when I'm playing. Maybe this is just because I spend a lot of time trying to figure out the game, I'm not chatting with a bunch of different people. If I'm talking to someone, it's usually either someone I already know, a fellow guild member, or someone I'm grouped with.

So I can't see why people are jumping all over the Chinese for gold farming, when I can't even tell who is Chinese, American, Swedish, etc. I've always found it interesting talking to people from other countries playing games online at MSN. I especially appreciate their patience with me trying my high school Spanish on them. I just unnerves me to see something so enjoyable, like World of Warcraft, brought low by an ism.

I'd really like to hear what people have to say on this. Merry Part and Blessed Be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have much experience with Chinese gamers in general, but on one Uldaman run I was grouped with this chinese mage who absolutely INSISTED that she run into the middle of a about 10 enemies or so, and cast Arcane Explosion. She did this several times, and complained when I didn't heal her in time. She had run out of my sight, and after the first time I just ignored her. Really, even when I could see her, she would die in less than a second; I didn't have time to cast anything.

But I suppose thats beside the point, other than being a fun story to tell. I certainly wouldn't descriminate against anyone, though I do get fed up with stupidity. Really, at lvl 43 you should know what you character is capable of, within a margin of error.

To tell the truth, I don't mind the idea of gold farming; I would point out that there are many other just as artificial ways to make a living, and if people are really set on buying, there is nothing wrong with selling. Though I would point out that WoW is a game, and I consider it part of the fun to acquire money. Still, if Blizzard wanted to shut these gold farmers down they should simply do what Sony did for EQ: open up an online store and sell gold and items there. It wouldn't cost them anything, and they would make nothing but profit out of it.

Blog Archive